Two children lost their lives today in a fire that broke out after an electric short circuit in Sarlahi.

A fire broke out at the house of Jogi Mahara Chamar of Kabilasi Municipality-7, Sirsiya, leaving two of his daughters dead. The sisters were asleep under a blanket made of straw to escape bone chilling cold when their blanket caught fire.

Chamar’s eight-year-old daughter Laxmi Kumari and three-year-old daughter Sogandhi Kumari died in the fire, informed Sarlahi Police Spokesperson and DSP Madhav Prasad Budhathoki.

The sisters succumbed to their injuries while being rushed to hospital for treatment.

Chamar’s five-year-old daughter Sudha Kumari, who sustained burn injuries in the fire, has returned home after receiving treatment at a local medical center, police said.

Similarly, 70-year-old Nasir Khan, a resident of Khutuna in Malangwa Municipality-6 of Sarlahi, died after his clothes caught fire when he was sitting near some burning firewood to heat his body. He was rushed to the district hospital in Malangawa but breathed his last during treatment, said police.