Rights activists have once again begun a sit-in protest demanding the implementation of the report submitted by a probe committee under the Ministry of Home Affairs to the Home Ministry on the disappearance of Nirmala Kurmi of Paraspur in Nepalgunj-17, Banke.

The activists in Banke have started the sit-in in front of the District Administration Office, Banke, demanding full implementation of the report of the committee formed by the government to investigate into the incident.

A committee led by Home Ministry Joint Secretary Hiralal Regmi had recommended the government to immediately arrest the accused and investigate the incident. The rights activists said that the sit-in was resumed after the Banke police was reluctant to investigate the incident.

They say the movement will continue until justice is done. The government-appointed probe committee had recommended to immediately arrest the accused and sub-mitted a report to the government to investigate the incident, but the law-makers said that the police did not arrest Badhshah Kurmi, the main accused in the incident.

A first information report was registered against eight persons at the District Police Office, Banke on April 2, 2021 alleging that Nirmala had gone missing. The report has suggested the government arrest the culprits and investigate after finding the fact that four-and-a-half bighas of land of missing Nirmala of Nepalgunj-17 Paraspur was transferred by the land mafia through forgery.

The probe committee headed by Home Ministry Joint Secretary Regmi had submitted the report to Home Minister Bal Krishna Khand on October 31. In the report, it was mentioned that Nirmala’s land has been grabbed by the land mafia.

Police had arrested six persons including Ramesh Thapa, Parbati Bista, Krishna Murari Singh, Urmila Kanojiya, Amar Lal Kurmi and Dhirendra Singh a year ago on charge of grabbing the land worth millions of rupees after Nirmala went missing. Among them, 80-year-old accused Kubar Babban Singh was released on bail due to age limit, while Badshah Kurmi was released on a simple date after appearing in court.

Meanwhile, Banke Police Spokes-person DSP Madhusudhan Neupane said that Nirmala’s second marriage took place in India, a photo of her death was received there and her death was registered online. He said that the police was doing its job honestly and there was no problem in the police investigation.